Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Dreaded NFS Syndrone

Letting Go of the Dreaded NFS Syndrone. Throughout my long romance with making art there’s been many a time when I thought “I can’t let go of this piece." I had put too much of myself in it emotionally to let it go. Years passed without me selling any of my work; the tag of NFS was firmly attached to the entire lot and branded on my forehead. Then, once upon a day, I realized I couldn't keep it all to myself anymore and the scared, but also brave, NFS girl cautiously came to the door. My concerns shifted and became all about having my work finally Seen. Then I started a blog, and began putting some work in shows, maybe some exhibits, a few private parties, which in times past I had fled screaming in denial from the very thought of doing such. 
So, it's been really hard and really scary. It’s hard because I struggle with procrastination and deadlines (but I’m getting slightly better at that). It’s scary because I’m pushing my comfort zone. And NFS girl tells me that is almost always a good thing to do. I would love to know your thoughts on this. Have you mastered letting your artwork go? or is it something you still resist doing? Please say. . .

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jann, always enjoy hearing about what's on your mind.

    ReplyDelete